Guests on their way? Last minute cleaning frenzy? If you have only 30 minutes before guests arrive, try these tips to make your home presentable:
1. Declutter: Clear surfaces of toys, newspapers, books and school paraphernalia. Put them away in their respective rooms – toys back in the kids rooms, old newspapers and magazines in a neat pile for the raddiwalla, books on shelves or in neat decorative piles and school things in the school bag.
2. Give surfaces a quick wipe. Dust coffee tables, arm-rests of sofas, the LCD TV, any bookshelves. My rule of thumb is to dust things that guests might touch – furniture, bookshelves (because people are curious), paintings (always draws the eye) and side tables, where glasses and bowls gather.
3. Straighten and fluff up your cushions. Tidy up seating areas.
4. No time to buy fresh flowers? Bring in a potted plant from your garden or balcony. Place in a glazed pot and watch it transform the space.
5. Add fragrance. Throw a window open to bring in a gust of fresh air. Remove cooking and household odours by using an air-freshener such as Godrej Aer’s Musk.After.Smoke which promises to eliminate smoky smells.